Why Didn’t the FBI Save Little Brisenia?

IT WAS PAINFUL ENOUGH for the community when the Minuteman Defense League murdered two members of the Flores family. And that was before we knew the FBI could have prevented it.

IF EVER THERE WERE A STARK EXAMPLE of the cruelty and inhumanity that powers so much of the white supremacist/anti-immigrant/neo-nazi movement, it is the manner in which a sweet little nine year old girl was shot dead in her own home, in the middle of the night.

Shawna Forde and her lackies pulled the trigger in this case, in June of last year. Many of us relate to and deeply feel for the Flores familia—whether it be because we are all humans; because nobody wants to be shot in their own bed; because we agree that children must be spared the spiritual sicknesses that adults trade back and forth like baubles; or because we are Mexicano or otherwise under the crosshairs these days. Those of us who do fit into one or more of these categories are often frustrated beyond belief that while the antics of boys in balloons or Ladies Gaga or Sad Sack Gibsons prove to be prime-time material, home invasions and murders tied to the current anti-Latino hostilities in the USA aren’t worth even two minutes on our major news channels.

This is institutionalized racism. As is the fact that nothing good or benevolent is ever reported about Mexicans or Mexicanos. Only a constant spew of criminality and demonization. Some might not care. And then, others might drown in their own blood in their own bed because so many don’t care. As our dear Brisenia did.

Does this institutionalized racism reach into the FBI? Or was it simply lackadaisical sloppiness that inspired them not act to either closely monitor or apprehend Forde and her ilk, even when warned ahead of time about the murderous plans of the Minuteman Defense League?

This is the news that just broke:

The FBI was told that Shawna Forde was planning a home invasion in the Arivaca area weeks before a man and his 9-year-old daughter were shot to death there.

According to documents filed this week in Pima County Superior Court, two confidential informants for the FBI say they told agents in April 2009 that Forde was recruiting people to raid a house she believed was filled with illicit drugs, money and guns. …

In a phone conversation taped by the FBI, Forde tells one of the informants that future jobs would be something of a test for a new recruit, saying: “Our hands are already dirty. We’ve got to know he can pull the trigger.”

Earlier this week, Forde’s defense attorney, Eric Larsen, filed a motion asking Judge John Leonardo to force prosecutors to hand over all FBI documents pertaining to the two confidential informants. The documents indicate neither was paid for his information, nor were they cooperating to avoid prosecution in any unrelated cases.

The documents include transcripts of separate interviews conducted by Pima County sheriff’s Sgt. Jill Murphy and by defense attorneys. Also included are nonconfidential FBI reports summing up what the informants told agents.

While the men say they told the FBI about Forde’s plans before the slayings, the FBI reports don’t reflect when it received the information.

Dave Joly, a spokesman for the FBI’s Denver division, said the bureau received the information “after the fact.” He declined to comment further because the case has not yet gone to trial.

So the informants claim they told the FBI, and now the FBI is covering its ass and saying “Hunh??”

Ass-covering is a human response. The problem is that this ass-covering that the FBI is doing will damage the prosecution’s case against Brisenia’s killers. So it’s a failure to protect on top of a failure to protect.

Larsen said that, assuming the FBI actually was aware of the alleged plot, he wants to know what the FBI thought about the information because, he said, if the agency chose not to act on the men’s information, that damages their credibility.

“If the FBI didn’t believe (the informants), why should the jury?” Larsen said.

Indeed. And why should the news cycle care at all about any of this?

Echoes of Noam Chomsky in my mind…about how terrorism is defined by the directions in which the guns point.

Please support Nezua's art!

13 Comments

1. RT @nezualito: Órale! New Post: Why Didn’t the FBI Save Little Brisenia?: IT WAS PAINFUL ENOUGH for the commu.. http://bit.ly/9qm5AW

This comment was originally posted on Twitter

2. imsweetleaf says:

Why Didn’t the FBI Save Little Brisenia? http://bit.ly/aBIZoT via @AddToAny …wtf…is unacceptable. my head up my ass again…damn crzy

This comment was originally posted on Twitter

3. sweetleaf says:

i get so mad at myself that i do my daily living while shit like this goes on. i didn’t know about this and don’t even know what i could have been doing june of 09. the forde bitch looked familiar but i couldn’t tell you why until today. damn…why are we in afghanistan again?
    thanks for the consciousness nez…damn.
    be safe, be strong, and be well.

• sweetleaf says:

i want to add my heartfelt apologizes for not being aware of this… and whatever else…and especially for not knowing what to do about it…

peace, one love, pass it on

4. Why Didn’t the FBI Save Little Brisenia?: IT WAS PAINFUL ENOUGH for the community when the Minuteman Defense Leagu… http://bit.ly/9qm5AW

This comment was originally posted on Twitter

5. Why Didn’t the FBI Save Little Brisenia? http://fb.me/CBrV6olz

This comment was originally posted on Twitter

6. nativeamericanindiananddangproudofit says:

This is beyond horror and sick! I remember when hubby and I made our first trip to Mexico where he is from people trying to speak to me in English all the while I am telling them please speak to me in Spanish as I am in your country, their reasoning not to, because they wanted to come to the United States. Even then; five years ago now, you know what my reply was??? Why? Stories like this should explain why I simply said to them “Why?”
    You know it is rather ironic, the white man all but wiped out the red man, still continues to try and wipe out the black man even though they say not, he threw a hissy when Hitler starting wiping out the jews, gypsies and so forth and now the white man once again is trying to wipe out la morenos…WTF! For a society and culture that what to scream and cry about crimes against humanity,…hmmm me thinks the “white man” oughta practice what he preaches!

7. US CITIZEN says:

HOW DARE YOU JUDGE US. MAYBE YOU NEED TO FIX YOUR OWN COUNTRY, WERE SICK OF DRUG DEALERS WELFARE CHEATS INVADING OUR LAND. AND WE’VE HAD ENOUGH.. IT’S YOUR COUNTRY’S BURDEN FOR THEIR DEATH NOT MINE.

Hiya, I think your caps lock is stuck on. You may wanna correct that, as to the online world this signals us to the fact that you are emotionally unstable and very possibly a meth addict.

Otherwise, I agree. It is my country’s burden for their deaths.

PS, I’m also a US Citizen.

Peace.

• nativeamericanindiananddangproudofit says:

Your Country??? Wtf Uh Duh Er excuse me, what you sicko neo nazi racist piggys did to the red man when you freaking came here without an invite and started taking/stealing land which was not yours to take in the first place you still don’t freaking get it…THE EARTH BELONGS TO NO ONE AND BEING HUMAN IS NOT ILLEGAL! Now kindly grow up, take anger managment and soul searching counsel and get a life! This was a 9 year old little girl you sick, uncaring, unfeeling %*%*$*!!!!

8. US CITIZEN says:

RACIST THE WHITE MAN HAS A COMMENT AND YOU COWARDS WONT PRINT IT. AMERICA’S OUR NOT GOING TO LET ILLEGALS RUIN US ANYMORE THAN YOU ALREADY HAVE. LOLOL AS I SIT HERE I LAUGHING BECAUSE WERE SHIPPING SOME OF YOU OUT AS I TYPE.

Yes, yes, I know the Racist White Man has a comment! I just approved it. Sorry, RWM, I’ve been offline for a week or so. Glad you are laughing. Me too!

Peace.

9. RVK55 says:

This hit Facebook today and we will make sure it is repeated over and over as this murderer updates her facebook account from jail. There hasn’t been a new post from this terrible person since Tuesday but there is big time money behind her. Looking at her web site one can tell.
    Follow the money is next.
    I can’t say much more except that you are not alone in this battle.