web analytics

Aliens Declare Humanness in New Shepard Fairey Art

April 30th, 2009 § 44 comments

HAVE YOU SEEN THE NEW WORK by Shepard Fairey? You know, he’s the cat what did the famous and iconic Obama HOPE poster. I guess the high of being Everyone’s Favorite Poster Guy has worn off and someone’s looking for another hit!
7123641jpgI don’t mean to knock Señor Shepard unduly. So let me dust the powder off my wig and proceed to tell you coolly what bothers me personally about this image. I’ll start with what I like.

Striking color palette. Smart to avoid bright whites and go with vanilla/creme/offwhite background. Interesting choice of turquoise. I like that. Nice lines and style. Warmth in the eyes and in the tones of the “immigrant girl.” Strong central image, rays accentuate positive energy. I consider it a tip of the sombrero that Fairey’s hat text copies the choice of font I used here.

What don’t I like?

Trying too hard to be “ICONIC.” Fitting too many elements. Flowers, T shirt, Hat text, Fist…too crowded. And in all of that, no family. It is tradition in México/Latin America as well as in so many immigrant families to be centered around the family. That is so much of what the fight is about here. And she is all alone. And happy to be alone!?

Put the fist up. Look at this humble person. She won’t even meet your eyes. Put the fist up. It feels awkward to have her with a fist halfway raised, turned toward her own body, and looking off camera. This seems to me someone trying to tame the scary image of Latin American protest traditions and make it palatable to the masses of US political junkies, with whom S. Fairey is trying to score points.

Finally, the part that really bothers me. We Are Human?? Really? I don’t know. As I said on a list ayer, I know that immigrants are in the fight for Human Rights…but I didn’t think the “human” part was really in doubt!

What I also said on that list—and you may sniff this leaking through my comments that point toward a chasm in cultural connection—is that the Latin@ comunidad has a very rich and powerful history of political art, not only protest. So I look forward to seeing what gente create. Someone on this “brown” list I’m on said “I hope this becomes the icon for immigration reform!” I am sure that Shepard Fairey hopes this as well. I do not.

To me, this image is what happens when an outsider-looking-in accidentally projects their own alien view on an Other, even meaning well.

The bottom line is that the Whiteness Problem presents in various ways, even when attempting beneficence. And co-opting another culture and speaking for them is a common. I am not here to tell Mister Fairey he cannot express himself. There is always room for more art and nobody’s going to stop Fairey, anyway. He is a very well known artist and involved in a number of good causes. He has even defended himself in the past against somewhat similar criticisms:

It’s not like I’m just jumping on some cool rebel cause for the sake of exploiting it for profit. People like to talk shit, but it’s usually to justify their own apathy. I don’t want to demean anyone’s struggles through casual appropriation of something powerful; that’s not my intention.”

Intention…I seem to recall a few discussions online centered around this concept.

Personally, I think the intention was simply cash and fame, or more of it. But maybe I’m being too…sensitive.

Tagged , , , , , , ,

§ 44 Responses to Aliens Declare Humanness in New Shepard Fairey Art"

• Christina says:

I didn’t think the “human” part was really in doubt!

Unfortunately, among some folks, it is. It really, really is. Also unfortunate, those people will not be convinced otherwise by a poster, no matter what kind of poster or who the artist is.

• bangpound says:

I love posters. I’m really happy to read you critique of the substance of his work here, because it’s easy to merely discuss the artist himself.

I like the same things in it you do.

I’d really like to see MORE posters from all artists. Can we have a contest and have a hundred posters to look at?! PLEASE?! The top 5 posters win the honor of being mass produced?

i agree. let’s have a wall full. murals, even. ;) and i do love a lot about it. but then it’s just…off a tiny (but important) bit. and i think it is because of what i wrote…and to some people, those things wont be felt or wont matter. but if anything, i say, let the “ICONIC” art come from la comunidad. maybe…hey. this sounds like a project that could be organized.

the thing is…i bet there’s already beautiful art out there on this issue, which is also my point. when shepard fairey does it, its instantly ICONIC and the search is over? had it begun?

• macon d says:

Thank you for pointing this out. Another white do-gooder gone wrong. I appreciate your close analysis of the image; you made me see WHY it wasn’t all that striking or moving to me. I wonder how Fairey would respond to your critique.

thanks macon. if he stops by i’ll let you know.

• Hey check out the silk screen poster we made with some youth that were part of a workshop we did in Oakland

see, that’s what i’m talking bout! love it.

and see the differnce. this is actually made by gente, by youth. feel the passion, feel the raw energia. compared to the milded-down Fairey poster.

put the fist UP!

thanks for stopping by and linking, Jesus.

• A1 says:

Nezua, it’s a shame man, but you don’t really have a clue what you’re talking about.
    You don’t seem to be in the loop enough to know just how much the “gente” and the “youth” had a hand in developing and carrying out this project.
    I don’t think you understand how much time, money, and effort went into carrying out this project that tackles an issue that most people would be too scared to approach. I respect Shepard Fairey for being willing to attach himself to an issue that many find to be too controversial, and would rather avoid.

You complain that this image isn’t angry or exciting enough for you, but it was EXTREMELY well received by the raza who took part in the movement. You know why? Because that image of the girl is to show what’s at stake in this fight. A young innocent child hopeful about the future. The girl isn’t meant to be the fighter. She’s meant to be what we’re fighting for. And people got that.
    I really hope you’re doing your part for the movement, and not wasting time and effort criticizing people who are on OUR side.

“A1″: Firstly, what is “our” side? I mean, who are you? You can’t claim a “we” when you pop in anonymous, no link, and no reference to how you know any of what you claim or can back it up. I’d guess, since you are echoing the same (juvenile) defense that Fairey does when facing criticism (quoted in Wikipedia above) about how any critique of your his art is simply to be deemed noise coming from Apathetic Haterz, that you are, in fact, Shepard Fairey. But I can’t really believe that’s the case as I’m sure such a big shot is brave enough to put his own name here and defend his work, rather than taking the chickenshit way of pulling a hit and run. So that leaves us how we began. Me, with hundreds of thousands of words in front of you that span back to May Day 2006; and you hiding behind a couple letters.

So I don’t really know that I’m on “your” side or that you are part of the “we” that I am. Clearly you don’t know me at all or you wouldn’t be so silly and bold as to drop a line questioning what i’m doing for el movimiento; you’d know. In fact, admitting you don’t know what I do in the line of what we are discussing is admitting you not only don’t know me, but you are not in touch at all with the online immigrant activism comunidad. How about that?

So, the arrogance is astounding. You show up here, don’t take off your mask, don’t know who I am or what I do in “the movement,” and yet feel totally comfortable telling me that i’m not in “the loop” enough to see how great this art is. Moreover, you use words like gente and raza awkwardly, telling me immediately you ain’t.

Now. Let us deal with the issue at hand.

You complain that this image isn’t angry or exciting enough for you,

Ah, yeah….the old Internet trick of “I can’t counter your points, so let me simmer them down until they are chunky and reduced enough that I can answer them!” That is to say, you are purposely oversimplifying my post because you cannot grapple with the truths in it. I did not say or imply that the work is not “angry” enough for me. This statement/interpretation is clearly another repeat of the White Lens working on ya, that is you are only proving my point. You are seeing my call for a closer adherence to the Latin American spirit and traditions as “angry.” No. Read it again. And sure, it’s plenty “exciting.” Again, I don’t know what post you are reading. But it’s not mine. I made very specific points about the art and you avoid those to view what I say through a dulled and pre-prepared frame.

Countering my critique on the substance and symbology of this poster with “but people liked it” is not a valid engagement of the points. I’m sure people liked it. I made a number of comments underlining what I liked about it. And gente are always happy to have outsiders step into the mix and join la lucha. Or to see our causes celebrated. My points have to do with…well. If you don’t get them by now, I don’t think you will.

Bottom line is that art that is meant to champion causes of a culture and people—if not made BY those people which is preferable of course—really ought to reflect an understanding of that culture instead of decorating itself with superficial elements of that culture, thus appropriating the cause for another big hit for the artist.

Plus it’s just plain cluttered. Hey, be happy. At least I admit you are an artist.

Peace.

• “Countering my critique on the substance and symbology of this poster with ‘but people liked it’ is not a valid engagement of the points.”

May I add: countering the critique by telling us how much money a bunch of white folks threw at the project is also not a valid engagement of the points.

Nez, I appreciate that you thoughtfully point out all that you like about the poster, and then thoughtfully point out an issue you have with it. Seems Anon can’t stomach that you would dare to have any critique. Also, is clearly not part of “La Raza” if he thinks that everyone in La Raza agrees and sees everything the same way all the time. Getting a couple of people to go along with a project does not mean it will be accepted by the wider community. Getting the community behind something does not mean that there can’t be individuals who disagree with it.

Mostly, I am laughing that he doesn’t know your part in “The Movement”… maybe he should read your blog a bit and get to know you before he starts making such ignorant statements. It’s not like it’s really hard to get some ideas about your role and who you are. BUT, that said, it is too common for people to fall back on the “you must not be doing anything but armchair critique of those of us who are really doing the work” when they simply have nothing substantial to respond to the critique with.

• Kai says:

Thankfully “the movement” does better without the likes of A1 who only muck things up with their condescending cookie-demanding faux-solidarity while repeatedly showing themselves to cluelessly confused and drenched in that extra-special white liberal racialism.

It’s a great analysis of the piece, Nez. I agree with all of it. The visual slickness is undeniable, yet the We Are Human slogan made me cringe the moment I saw it, it’s just waaayyyy too non-assertive and non-anything for me, a statement of low expectations from a meek posture. Regardless of who’s involved with the big expensive project to produce this poster, it’s a piece of white liberal art, not brown movement art. Its purpose is to react to racist nativist notions of subhuman criminal immigrants by saying, “They are so human! And they’re not all scary militants like The Unapologetic Mexican!” That might work for some folks. It might even help in the upcoming legislative battles in DC. It’s good eye-candy, it’s cute and inoffensive; but it doesn’t work for me, and it doesn’t represent or speak to the parts of “the movement” with which I’m most familiar.

Peace.

I love the part that essentially sez: “S. Fairey is SO brave for drawing this! Most wouldnt touch this icky issue! Have some respect for the money we spent on this!”

Que rico. How to even answer this strain of self-congratulatory condescension.

• A1 says:

Excuse me for speaking on you when I don’t know much about you. I read your bio, and despite the abundance of self-portraits and mirror shots, I can definitely respect your views. I share them with you. And I think it’s great that you have a blog.

Stumbling across your post, I was offended though. I watched this project be developed and carried out by people who were really passionate and dedicated about the movement. And yes, they were mostly Chicano(like myself), though I don’t know exactly why that should matter.

I understand the fear that a white dude who has gained lots of popularity is exploiting a culture for profit and fame, but you have to believe me that this is not the case with this project. Don’t be hung up on the race of the guy who’s name is attached to this.

Your posts on the matter reek with vanity and envy. Especially on going as far as to suggest that your own personal artwork was ripped off(that I’m personally not familiar with). It’s not a good look, man.

Don’t go off on this piece, or the one with the man raising his fist, based on a bunch of assumptions. You should have at least looked into it more before posting about this like that.

Me and you shouldn’t even be bickering. It should be all love between those of us who are fighting for the rights of immigrants who are facing injustice in this country. There are plenty of racists, xenophobes, and other people who are against immigrants and the right to retain Mexican and/or indigenous identity.

Save it for them. Please don’t waste energy on attack the work of others who are for the same cause as you.

Also, forgive me for making a screen name to comment on your blog post, I just wante4d to respond to what I felt was an unfair attack on a meaningful project. I have no intention of joining your blog.

I am very proud of what all the people involved, including Shepard Fairey, Ernesto Yerena, Zack De La Rocha, Tonatierra Community Development in Phoenix, and all the others, for all the dedication and work they did for this project. I feel very lucky to have witnessed it.

Without being apologetic, I wish you luck, and hope to see whatever artwork you come up with that you feel is better suited to be a symbol for the movement.

Peace

My feelings and thoughts here are about fear, vanity and envy, eh? And you say this not only admitting you “don’t know much about” me, but also because “it should all be love between us.”

That’s fun stuff! :)

• Aaminah Hernandez says:

A1, are you seriously saying that he has no right to disagree or dislike the piece just because you like it & feel there was a lot of work put into it? really? that he has to accept it and like it because… why… because you say so? hey, i don’t like it either. others commented and said why they don’t like it. maybe we are all some big conspiracy against this white artist because… what… we are all racist against him? so you are chicano too… good for you. your viewpoint is valid, but not to the point of invalidating that of others. and sorry, as a chicano, you SHOULD understand and care why there is an issue when whites (or others) appropriate the culture to make a name off it and take all the credit. for saying that so many chicanos backed this project – just how many of those chicanos are getting money or name-recognition from it? are they getting anywhere near as much as shepard is getting? and what about all of the talented artists (like nezua but not limited to him) whose work is ignored, not funded, not brought out to public view, not deemed worthy of being iconic to the movement? you may be chicano, but you sure sound… not. and who was bickering? you. you are the only one bickering, because you think that your love for this piece overrides anyone else’s critique of it. frankly, i think the piece is trash. so you should be happy that you had someone like nezua to point out its good features before he critiqued it. oh, and it’s not hard to find nez’s art work, or the work of many other men, women and youth in the movement. but you wanna be shallow and accuse someone of envy just because they disagree with you, well, that’s a pretty tired line used by those with nothing intelligent to say.

well lets get one thing clear, i appreciate the thought, aaminah, but this is not about me doing the art, really. i’m so busy. i’m busy organizing aand helping to organize a few things that, well, let’s say they are related to la causa!

no, the first thing i thought of was how much art must already be out there. art that doesn’t only “involve” gente, but that is made BY them. and yes, you are right to sense my annoyance, A1 homesauce, becuz it IRKED me. i thought “why is this poster suddenly being hailed as the icon of the movement just because a popular white artist had the means to move on it first with promo, outreach, publicity, etc?” well, i know why. that feeling and thought is not about envy, foo’. It’s in line with part of my purpose.

and if that thought doesnt speak to you, mister “chicano,” then you are no “chicano.” because that word denotes a priority of politics to seeing gente upheld, not just repped in image form. i know gente, i know chicanos y chicanas y xicanos y xicanas cuz we support each other and do for each other the opposite of what you are doing here. and they dont TALK love and such, they show it by lifting up gente and not replicating age old patterns of whiteness and appropriation.

yes, i may just organize to get youth involved, a contest to highlight work by raza. that was another thought i had. dont take it personally. and yes, RATM is a favorite band, but zach de la rocha is not my messiah, sorry for that one.

peace.

i love the credits too, dropped like a good PR job:

…including Shepard Fairey, Ernesto Yerena, Zack De La Rocha, Tonatierra Community Development in Phoenix, and all the others, for all the dedication and work they did for this project.

• Aaminah Hernandez says:

lol, i was not suggesting that you need more work, hermano! i was merely pointing out, as you say, that there are other artists, from la gente, that have been doing this art for a long time. since A1 keeps dropping some spew about not being familiar with your art and that perhaps you are just envious, i was suggesting to him that you are a prolific and well-known artist that he should take the time to check out. that does not mitigate the responsibility to check out other artists as well. por ejemplo, you know kameelah of http://www.kameelahwrites.com, no? she is a teacher & her students are putting together a photogrphy project as we speak. some of those students are latino/a, some chicano/a. this is the youth, up and coming artists, doing it organic, on their own, without any more support than each other and one teacher that believes in them. or what about noemi martinez? she is a chicana poeta who produces zines. heck, google on “chicano artists” and you get tons of great resources to pull from. por ejemplo, in 2008 there was a whole exhibit with a ton of chicano/a artists, any one or more of whom could have been supported to put forward their own vision for such a project (http://www.thechicanocollection.net/artists.html). i’m only trying to echo what you (nezua) have already said: this work already exists, and is being made by the people of the movement already. so why not commission one of them, or a group of them? why not go into the barrios and see what is already being made and choose one of those pieces as the “icon” of the current situation? why why why does it take a white man with some clout, and the money of some other white men backing him, to get an iconic image for the movement? and then, for the icon chosen to be… well, let me just say “off base” in the eyes of some…

great links! thank you. and great points, thank you for helping communicate what i’m also trying to say.

By the way, Aaminah, I do have an idea that I want to put into motion to highlight all these artists and organic uprisings of arte such as you mention. So let us be hablando más ahorita…

• ButchM says:

Hey nezua,
    Do you have any photos of your poster for this effort?

• almanegra says:

Nezua,
    I wish you would do a little more homework before making some of the claims which by which you seem to stand most adamantly. First of all, this poster was a collaborative effort on the behalf of Shepard Fairey, Ernesto Yerena, and Zach de la Rocha. Second, all proceeds from this print were used to fund free signs and stickers for the protest. How is this an opportunistic attempt to create “iconic work” for profit. What leads you to believe the above statement over the notion that an artist collaborates with other passionate people who are more knowledgeable concerning the cause to create a peace that can be used to unify protestors? Next, I do not believe that the purpose of the “We are Human” statement was to remind protestors and victims that they are human, but to remind the people who treat them like animals that they are human. What message would you suggest? Furthermore, it is obvious when you mention that the little girl should raise her fist that you did not see the other image created for this cause of a grown man with a raised fist. To me an innocent child naive to the full nature of the issue but still affected by it is more moving than a child who is pumping her fist in the air about a concept she will not fully grasp until she reaches adulthood. There are so many more holes in your rambling article, but I am done addressing them. Next time do a little research…Try and understand the creative forces behind the art, it’s true purpose, and if you are so concerned about the monetary benefits of the image, then you should really look into where the money is actually going as opposed to assuming that the image was purely profit driven. Peace.

Ay, you Fairey-Defenders really have no manners, eh? You just roll up in here telling me I know nada and because I don’t do “research” that my art critique (graduate of NYU TSOA, btw), my cultural critique, my thoughts and the feelings and thoughts of the readers who comment here are invalid. Nice one!

Well, I do hope you are satisfied that I published your comment. That will have to be enough, I feel no need to explain any more than I have. Enjoy your day, this fifth of may!

ButchM

Oooh OOoh! I get it, here let me try:

Your comment (which I imagine you fluff up every four minutes to stir up the pride dust again) is meant to be yet another form of the S.Fairey Defense otherwise known as:

It’s a joke, cabrón, to imply I have not done art or other work in line with this cause and I could easily link you to “a photo” but you know what’s more of a joke than your implication? The idea that I’d feel I have to prove anything to you.

• Aaminah Hernandez says:

wow, nez, you got the art-gestapo after you! really, when did it become such a big deal to dislike a piece of art, to critique it even, that it would require a bunch of people to come and call you names and accuse you of ignorance (while conveniently not caring to address that other commentors agree with you and put forth their own issues with it as well)? is it some kind of mortal sin or political faux pas to dislike someone’s work and… gasp!… dare to say so?

• Aaminah Hernandez says:

p.s. – if this were not all about fairey’s work… if it were a true collaboration… it wouldn’t look so distinctly like… a piece of shepard fairey work. so, sure, others may have been consulted, but ultimately, he gets the credit and everyone will recognize it as his work. and don’t be so naive as to think that doesn’t translate into dollars and future paid gigs for him, whether all proceeds from this really go to charity or not. nevermind that some of the gente may have a very different idea about what that charity money should go to better serve, you know, la gente who this is supposedly all about.

• ButchM says:

Defensive much? I was just wondering if you had also made a poster for this event but you made a bunch of assumptions about people you don’t know and ran with them. There’s a strange hypocrisy in that.

Also, why do you moderate posts if you want honest discussions?

• ButchM says:

Aaminah Hernandez so you are able to judge a book by its cover and declare that this is a Shepard Fairey design? So it would be okay then for people to look at you and think they know where you came from?

Also, you are missing the point when you are defending the critique of the work. I don’t think people are concerned with the evaluation but rather the false premise that this was Shepard’s design. It was primarily Ernesto Yerna’s with input from Zach and Shepard. Ernesto is an apprentice of Shepard’s so his work has a similar flavor. You can criticize it all you want but just know that you are speaking about one of Ernesto’s designs. So that really invalidates the charges of “outsider perspective” or “whitness problem.” Regardless if a couple other people glommed on to Nuevo’s misinformed position, your “safety in numbers” agrument just change the facts about who created it.

Peace

• ButchM says:

“Shut up.” LOL, I’ll take that as a concession of defeat.

We’ll move on and show solidarity with productive activists like Ernesto and Zach and wish you luck with this little defacto myspace page you got here.

Peace

If it’s Ernesto’s, why isn’t his name on it and all over the Internet?

My critique on whiteness behaviors and appropriation stands and has not been knocked down yet. Until Ernesto’s name is fronted on it visibly and all over.

Even so, that does not ameliorate the critique on the clutter, the silly fist thing, and the “We are Human” phrase.

Ugh.

You can take it as a muffin with jelly on it if you want, bro. You can even imagine a cup of milk on top of that, but ain’t nothing defeated here.

Lataz.

• ButchM says:

Psst. His name is on it. He personally signed every single one of the s/n edition. How do you not know even know that before your wrote an article about it? Seriously.

Psst.

Maybe becuz (look up) it’s not on it? I don’t have one in my hand? I never claimed to? Because it was introduced to a “brown” list serv as “Shepard Fairey”s new poster? Because that’s how people are talking about it?

Mix n match. Seriously.

Feel free to address the other points I made, if you like.

Look, I appreciate your tenacity. Truth is, though you don’t have to lift all this weight by your lonesome. Ernesto emailed me last night to talk to me. I’ve been too busy, and I called him today. He was out at lunch. So it’s nice that you are doing this, but if there’s facts to be known, then I’ll find them out and of course I’ll comment further. I doubt the call will change my mind about the aspects that bother me, which I listed above. They are visual things that a call can’t undo. (And yes, it’s nice to know that someone like Ernesto was involved, but that doesn’t change the other instances that don’t work for me, as I said.) But of course I’m willing to hear him out, despite asses like you on the same “side” who think being snide in someone else’s place paints them as authoritative.

Nonetheless, you’ve got me thinking, and I thank you for that. In fact, my next post will thank Shepard for overseeing such projects, and in all honesty, herding us fwd with his helping hand into the era of a new black prez (HOPE) and finally, immigration reform. I think the commenters above such as yourself are right and really we all ought to be grateful for the man’s work. And dammit, I’m not afraid to say so.

Peace.

• ButchM says:

Well alright then. I look forward to seeing your future posts after discussing this with Ernesto.

I came here asking a simple question and you took an adverse tone with me so snide is as snide does but in the end it works out, since now you are interested in finding out the real story about this print.

Peace

God, don’t you have a job? I’m never going to get anything done here!

I don’t “admit” to it. Because if you read the post, I never claimed otherwise. You sound like a damn cop, chill. I simply write of the image, which I posted next to it. Which I got news of on a list serv, and presented in the manner I told you already. I have not misrepped myself. And I dont have any reason to revise a damn thing yet anyway.

If you actually read the last comment, then I have no need to repeat myself. Rest easy, mister commenter. Life will all work out. Be easy! Take a walk, get some air. Thanks, really.

I’m not going to play that game, yo. Your first question was not “simple” it was a snide passive aggressive move. Secondly, this is mi casa and you aint got no wings here, as Red sed. I can be that kind of snide and on my own stoop it’s called ‘pride.’ Third, it’s not “now” that I’m interested in truth, for crying out loud, I always am. You don’t know me and you’re silly if you think that my next post on it will make you happy or that I even care about that. Anyway, yes. Please go do something else. Hasta lataz.

And constantly editing your comments to say wholly different things is very disingenous. I’ve already replied to your old comments which no longer show. you are wrecking the integrity of the conversation. And, um, “there’s a strange hypocrisy in that.”

You are on moderation so I can be sure your comments stay still long enough to be replied to without changing.

• Aaminah Hernandez says:

if this is really ernesto’s work:

1) nope, i don’t see his name anywhere on it.

2) ernesto is a talentless schmuck for creating work that looks so distinctly like shepard fairey’s, student or no. nothing original about making your work match that of your teacher. not impressed.

and really, shut up because your arguments are false and ridiculous. why not just accept that not everyone is gonna like it? why is it so hard for you to deal with people dislikeing it? i don’t have to like it, nezua doesn’t have to like it. last i checked, part of artistic freedom is for others to be able to say they aren’t impressed by someone else’s art. whatever. grow the hell up.

• almanegra says:

Way to call an artist a talentless schmuck and then tell everyone to grow the hell up.

And Nezua,
    I am fine with your critique of the artwork. No one has a place to tell anyone else what is aesthetically pleasing. What I don’t like about your article are the claims about the purpose of this artistic venture, of which you have no hard evidence about and have flat out suggested false informaion. It is fine if you don’t like the piece or even Shepard, Ernesto, or Zach for that matter. Just don’t start trying to spread misinformation that the whole operation was simply driven by a single factor, profit.

Almanegra:

Well, wait a minute. Please quote me in instances of “trying to spread misinformation” and “suggested false information.” Do you mean because I stated Fairey wanted to stay famous and turn a profit? I know it’s harsh, but why must it be false? “Hard proof” you mention. But can you disprove those motives are not involved? Can this fact not coexist with Ernesto’s excellent contributions and motives?

Anyway, really, I don’t want to argue these things anymore. I have spoken with Ernesto and am more than happy to do another post drawing out some of the nuances of the situation. Despite all the insults about my MySpace type page here and how I know nothing and am just jealous etc etc, I am very interested in understanding the complexities of a situation. I also am very vested in continuing to underline patterns in culture and society that I feel are harmful or that perpetuate shapes that harm gente. So. That said, this is what I’ll continue to do. You can expect my post in a day or two, I am very busy on many fronts, including more work on The Sanctuary, which will soon go through some really fantastic changes. Kudos to the ObeyGiant team, flocking to my post relentlessly. You are a loyal bunch for sure.

What's this?

You are currently reading Aliens Declare Humanness in New Shepard Fairey Art at UMX | EL MACHETE.

meta